What on earth are you talking about Mel?
Soooooo you set up that Instagram account, you convert it to a business account and you crack on with posting but you keep seeing all those accounts with those pretty branded circles under the bio. Now, what’s that all about?, Well that is just what I am talking about.
Those pretty little branded circles right under your bio are reserved for specific stories that you want to hang around for longer than the 24hr limit that Instagram currently affords for stories and better still it is super easy to get your stories (even the ones that have disappeared) onto your highlights.
Why should you make the effort and attempt a master yet another feature Instagram have thrown at us?
There are so so many bloody brilliant reasons that I think you should be utilising those little circles.
- That very special bit of content gets a permanent spot on your bio
- Helps your potential audience quickly and easily pinpoint a specific bit of info, offer, or service.
- Increases the rate of conversion (it’s all about the user experience)
- Massively helps in driving traffic towards your website
- Give you a space to show off the personality of your brand
- And additionally, it keeps me from nagging you to get those spots filled
In my opinion, you should be looking at your Instagram story highlights in the exact same way as you would do your website header menu. Organized into really specific categories strategically chosen for your audience and kept right up to date and relevant.
SO lets crack on and give you some super simple to follow do’s and don’t’s
- Keep those titles simple and to the point, you don’t get many letters so make the bloody most of them.
- Promote the personalities behind the brand and “about” highlight is a cracking way to do it.
- Make sure those covers are on-brand and beautiful.
- Make sure the most important/ relevant ones are right under the noses of your followers right at the beginning.
- Organize your “Highlights” strategically, keep them in the order you don’t see me sticking some diva content in the Princess’s highlight do you.
- Factor your Highlights into your overall strategy, if you are spending the month promoting 20% off all trainers then make sure that it’s right front and center on your Highlights.
- Consistency is key, KEEP IT ON BRAND.
- POST WITH PURPOSE (sorry not sorry, I just had to, I couldn’t help myself)
Now you all know by now that I am not down with the negative nelly’s but I do think there are a time and a place. I see the below Donts time and time again so I wanted to take the opportunity to take you through (in my opinion) some of the shockers I see every bloody day.
- More is not better, I do not want to be seeing a shit tonne of Highlights that are just there because ……….. Keep it relevant, keep it simple and keep it strategic.
- Instagram will automatically use a thumbnail of the first story in that particular Highlight so don’t forget to update this to your branded covers.
- Don’t use text for your cover, you get the space below for the text and nobody can bloody see it anyways.
- Keep the numbers down, please please don’t try and cram loads of Stories into each highlight it’s super annoying and no one will ever sit through a tonne of stories.
- Don’t just have a highlight for the sake of having a highlight.
If you are ready for an Instagram to revamp and would like it to fall in line with your brand then please do give us a shout we bloody love putting branding guidelines together for Instagram accounts and trust me it makes the power of the difference.